jake on 2005.06.11
at 12:45 am
I find pop culture gossip to be interesting. What attracts us to it? And why the hell do we famous people who contribute nothing? Well right now I don’t really care. This is actually a post on Scientology. All the publicity around Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes got me thinking about the peculiar “church” and why so many celebrities join. And why the heck don’t they get that their religion doesn’t make much sense?
I’m no expert on the subject so I will let my links do the talking. So far I’ve found out that it’s not really a religion at all. And you need to pay into it to gain status. Sounds perfect for celebrities. Quite simply it is a cult.
The ongoing controversies involving the Church of Scientology and its critics include:
- Scientology’s harassing and litigious actions against its critics and “enemies.”
- Differing accounts of L. Ron Hubbard’s life, (critics charge Scientology with being a cult of personality, with much emphasis placed on the alleged accomplishments of its founder). Scientologists claim that government files, such as the FBI, are loaded with forgeries and other false documents detrimental to Scientology.
- Deaths of Scientologists due to mistreatment by other members.
- Scientology’s disconnection policy, in which members are encouraged to cut off all contact with friends or family members critical of the Church.
- Criminal activities by some members of the Church of Scientology.
- Claims of “brainwashing” and mind control.
- Accounts of L. Ron Hubbard discussing his intent to start a religion to make money.
I don’t wish to speak ill of anyone but Scientology really creeps me out. I’ll let you make up your own mind of their intentions. Let’s hope Ms. Holmes is careful and rationalizes what’s going on around her.
Posted in: Rant
Comments have been automatically disabled to curtail spam.