brian on 2005.07.20
at 01:05 pm
Here’s some information on President Bush’s nominee, Judge John Roberts
- Roberts appears to want to limit the scope of the Endangered Species Act, and in papers he wrote while in law school he supported far-right legal theories about “takings” which would make it almost impossible for the government to enforce most environmental legislation.
- He opposed clean air rules and worked to help coal companies strip-mine mountaintops.
- Roberts worked to keep Congress from defending parts of the Voting Rights Act.
- As a appeals court judge, Roberts ruled that the Geneva Convention doesn’t apply to some prisoners of war.
- Roberts argued that schools should be able to impose religious speech on attendees.
- Roberts wrote that “Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided and should be overruled.” He also weighed in on behalf of Operation Rescue, a violent anti-abortion group, in a federal case.
- As a lawyer he argued (and won) the case that stopped some doctors from even discussing abortion.
If that disturbs you, here’s a petition you can sign to ask your representitives to oppose his nomination as your lifetime proxy on the highest court in the United States. And by the way, since this links to MoveOn.org, just to mention, there’s been some talk that MoveOn is some sort of ultra-leftist organization. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Read their stuff and see if it aligns with your own. Don’t let some talking head on the boob-tube tell you what to think.
Posted in: Politics · Recent Events
Comments have been automatically disabled to curtail spam.